Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Top Five Tuesday: All-Time Favorite Songs

Since there is absolutely nothing that brings me more satisfaction than making lists and talking about myself, I've decided to start a new weekly series I like to call, Top Five Tuesday. Every week, I'll list off my top picks in a category of my choosing... and this is pretty self explanatory, so I don't know why I'm still explaining it. If you have any suggestions for future Top Five Tuesdays, let me know!

Music is something very near and dear to me, so for this week's Top Five, I'm talking about my all-time favorite songs. I'm sure twenty years from now, I'll be embarrassed by this list in the same way I'm embarrassed at the fact that I listed P.O.D. as my favorite band in a school project in 5th grade...

(they were cool back then, I'm pretty sure)

1. "Dreams" - Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had a toxic relationship. And not the Britney Spears kind of toxic. The bad kind. Lucky for us though, it produced the most perfect breakup song ever written. Equal parts heartbreaking, scathing, and empowering--by the end of it, I don't even know who to feel bad for anymore. All I know is that my homegirl Stevie just gets it.

2. "Heartbeats" - The Knife
There are 5 different versions of this song in my iTunes library, performed by 5 different artists in 5 different genres, yet each one stands on their own and tells a different story. And I love them all the same. (Other versions are by Jose Gonzalez, Ellie Goulding, Scala & Kolacny Brothers, and Daniela Andrade)

3. "It Is What It Is"- Blood Orange
If you ever had plans to create something, just know that whatever it is, it's probably not going to be as good as this song so you can pretty much just give up now bye

4. "Ignition (Remix)" - R. Kelly
No, this isn't a joke.

5. "3rd Planet" - Modest Mouse
I'm a strong believer in the idea that the connection you make with the music you listened to in high school never really leaves you. Such is the case with this song. Though I no longer fully resonate with the song's insightful, yet somewhat pessimistic commentary about life, religion, and existence (high school, amirite?) I still feel like it would be an act of treason against my 16 year old self to not include this song in the list.  (oh, ps. there is language in this song so MOM STOP LISTENING NOW)

Also, follow me on Spotify if you want to check out other music I like, and also how many times I listen to Since U Been Gone on repeat.


xo Lo

4 comments:

  1. Fleetwood Mac forever. The only other song of Stevie's that lives up to Dreams is Gold Dust Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, Fleetwood Mac speaks to my innermost heart and being. Dreams is my number one too. Stevie is a soul sister for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you for this- your spotify account. I've been itching for new music.
    Top 5 topics I'd definitely be into- chick flicks, other movies, items of your wardrobe, books, junk foods

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments is like finding 5 dollars in my pocket. You guys are the best.

More reads...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...